Courses open for application
20 - 30 April 2024 in Stadtschlaining. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis in case course slots are still available.
Online Application Form
The IPT Core Course comprises theoretical inputs and practical exercises tailored to peacebuilding work in conflict and post-conflict settings. All modules aim at enhancing interpersonal skills, highlighting the importance of cross-cultural partnerships, and promote a reflective and accountable approach towards peacebuilding and crisis management. Throughout the course, participants are also encouraged to work in groups on specific case studies to apply the acquired skills and knowledge and reflect on how they can transfer the learnings into their own work.
The course modules cover concepts and strategies of peacebuilding, cross-cultural collaboration, the roles of different actors in the field, methods and tools of conflict analysis and third party intervention, do no harm, human rights, international humanitarian law, transitional justice, gender, and more. In addition, new challenges and opportunities in peacebuilding, including the climate, environment, peace and security nexus, will also be addressed. Moreover, through a complex simulation exercise participants will learn how to repond to cisis sitations and increase their personal safety and security when working in hostile environments.
- Learn about different peacebuilding concepts, strategies, and approaches.
- Get familiar with the role of different actors in the field and ways of effective cooperation.
- Build knowledge and practical skills required in peacebuilding work, including on conflict analysis, third-party intervention, do-no-harm, international humanitarian law, human rights, transitional justice, stress management, mine awareness, radio communication and more.
- Learn how to apply a climate, environmental, and gender lens to peacebuilding work.
- Develop knowledge and skills to enhance your personal safety and security in crisis situations through a complex simulation exercise.
- Reflect on emerging challenges and opportunities in peacebuilding as well as your own peacebuilding practices to identify good practices and lessons-learned.
Course language: English
Course costs: 2250 € (covering full-board accommodation)
- Professionals working in I/NGOs, civil society organisations, multilateral organisations, government institutions and academia.
- Practitioners and academics who want to expand their knowledge and skills in peacebuilding in an international and interdisciplinary group setting.
- People who want to prepare for or already serve in field missions in post-conflict or conflict settings.
- People who act as multipliers in their countries and communities and can pass on the knowledge and skills acquired in the course.
Applicants need strong intentions to broaden their peacebuilding capabilities or to lay the foundation for a career in this field. Furthermore, a good command of English is a prerequisite.
"This Course has become the door opener
"This course brings together people
Harald Rettner, Peace Practitioner