Summer Academy on OSCE
The „Summer Academy on OSCE“ is organised under the Patronage of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Background & Purpose of the Summer Academy on OSCE
The Summer Academy on OSCE in Stadtschlaining is a 24-year tradition (since 1997). It has trained a generation of diplomats, OSCE field staff and other practitioners in understanding the Helsinki Process and the OSCE, its methods of work and its relevance in preventing and dealing with security threats in Europe. In the process, the Academy has stimulated debate on the OSCE and its work and developed a network of practitioners who have shared the unique Schlaining experience and have retained their interest in the organization.
The war in Ukraine has destroyed the pan-European security order, and created an existential crisis for the OSCE and, more broadly, the idea of cooperative security. Therefore, discussing the OSCE and the challenges of rebuilding security in Europe are more relevant than ever.
After a three-year hiatus because of COVID-19, the Summer Academy on the OSCE at the renamed and renovated Austrian Peace Centre will take part in the autumn of 2023.
The executive-level course has adapted to changing circumstances, thus:
- The course will move from the spring to the autumn to support the in-coming Chair for 2024.
- The course will provide a more focused and cost-effective program.
- There will be less of a focus on the OSCE and its executive structure and a greater focus on how to address security threats and challenges in Europe, and developing the skills to anticipate emerging threats, facilitate dialogue, and manage relations in a highly polarized security environment.
ternational NGO trainers with long-term experience in the field, and international lawyers active in promoting OSCE-NGO co-operation, particularly in the areas of human rights and democratisation.
Curriculum & Methodology
The majority of the programme of the Summer Academy takes place at the Peace Castle Schlaining. However, besides social events, an excursion to the Permanent Council (PC) in the Hofburg Vienna is also included.
The methodology of the Academy is based on lectures, workshops, a study visit to the OSCE in Vienna, completed by background readings. Basic information about the OSCE and its executive structures are made available in advance to help participants prepare for the lectures.
- Lecturers use primarily case study approach and focus on recent developments and activities of the OSCE.
- Working groups give participants the opportunity to discuss the subjects dealt with in the lectures and to further consolidate and apply their knowledge.
- Participants practice communication, mediation and negotiation skills and gain experimental knowledge of different concepts through interactive exercises, such as role-plays and simulation exercises.
- The Academy includes a 2-day excursion to the Hofburg/Vienna to visit the Permanent Council and meet OSCE representatives.
Requirements and Procedure
The cost of participation will be € 2.300, - per participant. This amount covers tuition, educational materials, and full board accommodation in a single room with bath as well as all expenses linked to social events and excursions of this 7 days-training-event.
For participants coming from non-OECD member states, a limited number of scholarships will be awarded. Applicants who would like to apply for such a support should indicate this in the respective section of the application form and give reasons for that in their application essay. However, there is no possibility to get financial support for travel expenses from the organisers.
- Master's degree or the equivalent in working experience
- working knowledge of English
- submission of the application form and the required accompanying materials as soon as possible, but not later than 30th April 2023.
Applicants for admission will be selected on a competitive basis. Preference is given to applicants whose participation is supported by their Foreign Ministry or one of the OSCE institutions. Applicants will be informed on the decision of the admissions committee in May 2023.